Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Storm

As I read The Storm, I found myself thinking that the storyline reminded me a lot of a movie I've seen titled Unfaithful. Many similarities between the two were present and I felt like I was re-watching the movie. However, I found that I liked The Storm more than I liked Unfaithful. For some reason, reading the events allowed me to imagine for myself the emotions that were being felt throughout. I like how Kate Chopin used a lot of detail in explaining events and physical features of characters. When I was reading about Claxita and Alcee's encounter, I felt like I was reading something out of a Playboy. You can truly catch every sensual detail that is given, and almost paint a clear picture of what it looks like. It was the detail that drew me into the story.
I found The Storm to be a unique story because the title is actually a key element. I found it cool how all the events in the story were caused by the oncoming thunderstorm. Rekindled flames, lost happiness, and reunions were all brought about because of the fact people were influenced by nature. The dark mood and suspicous circumstances were made possible by the description of the storm clouds. I also liked how Chopin used a deep south accent for her characters. It was fun to try and pronounce certain slang and whatnot. The one thing I didn't like about the story was how it just went on without any further explanation. I didn't like the fact that the father, Bobinot, never found out about his wife's encounter with her old flame. I don't know why but it just depresses me when I read about that stuff. In the end, I found The Storm to be an interesting read and worth the time to read again.

No comments: