Friday, January 23, 2009

The Storm

Besides stumbling along with the words, and trying to figure out how to pronounce them, I figured out this was written about people from the south. Using french names like Bobinot, and phrases like "mama'll be fraid," Made me think of Louisiana, I had visited New Orleans back in 1975 for a convention for the Farmers Union. I didn't quite understand the language they used, and how slow the natives spoke to me when they finally understood what I was trying to say to them. The description of the weather to me almost made me feel like I was in or around a thunderstorm. Setting the story's atmosphere to be hot and steaming only like the south can experience. But blended in the weather came another steamy part among the characters. When Alce'e convinced Calixta not to be afraid of the lightning striking the house, but that was not all Calixta had to fear. The fear of the moment and the heat of the passion was surly to give way here to her and the memories they had together in a earlier time. Blending the description of the the weather and the heat of passions between two people makes this a very seductive story. So reading this storm passage had your mind off the thunderstorm and on the storm which was happening in the house. As the storm passes so doses the characters Calixta and Alcee goes on about their business like nothing happened between them, no feelings, no remorse nor regrets.Even though both of them have other people in their lives, husband wife children what happened in the storm didn't even matter, clouds rolled on and so did they. The only one who experienced mud was the little boy and that was made from the dirt and water not the dirt made by the two adults, and he was the one to be told to be ashamed. Thats what I got out of the storm written by Chopin.

No comments: