Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Rose for Emily

I really enjoyed the story "A Rose for Emily." I liked that the story was not in chronological order, it made me think a lot more. As I read the story I found it was a little confusing at some times because there is a lot going on. It really made me question Emily and who she really was. I didn't understand why when everyone would see her they would say, "poor Emily". Once Emily's father dies, the towns people kept smelling a odd smell from her house, but later in the story the smell all of a sudden goes away. She met Homer, a man who worked for a construction company, when he was cleaning the sidewalks. Soon enough him and Emily fell in love. After awhile he was never seen again. I thought that when Emily went to buy the poison she was buying it for herself. But, as I kept reading I then figured out that she bought the poison for Homer. At Emily's funeral the ladies went up to look in Emily's room. I was very surprised that when they opened the door they saw a body laying in her bed covered in dust, the body was of Homer Barron. The story left me in deep thought. The ending was very quick and left you thinking.

No comments: