Friday, January 16, 2009

A Christmas Story

When I read "A Christmas Story", I can't help but notice that it jumps around a lot. Right from the beginning, you can tell there is something wrong. I picked up right away that the man in the story is a farmer due to the fact he and his wife were discussing silos. However, there was some talk about a child's toys, so that threw me off completely. I think what is going on in the first few lines is that the wife is upset about something and keeps discussing it with a husband who doesn't want to listen. It goes on to reveal that the wife is afraid of the silo on their land because of recent malfunctions that led to explosions. The man shrugs these complaints off as no big deal because he feels he has done everything to make them safe. After leaving his bedroom, the man comes upon some children's toys and decides to play with one especially. He takes this toy plane and rides it down the road. I feel there must have been an accident with possibly the man and wife's child. It may have possibly died due to a silo or maybe a disease of some sort. I also feel that is what the women is talking to the man about at the beginning of the story.

After reading this story, I find myself asking, "What is going on here?" I just can't figure out the main point of this story and it makes me cringe. I normally like stories like this, but this one just doesn't catch my attention. It starts in the middle of nowhere and ends in the middle of nowhere.

No comments: