Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Rose for Emily

The story "A Rose for Emily" shows how some try to hold on to the past. Emily grew up in a very conservatory town where her family held a very high status in. The story has a lot of weird twists in it that made me question wether or not Emily was really all there. Emily's father was very controlling and didn't really approve of any of the men trying to court his daughter. Emily charished her father, but maybe a little too much. After his death people said they smelt a funny smell coming from the basement. But, after people complaining it disappeared. I couldn't always follow the story at times it got confusing, Faulkner never comes right out and says what he means. I thought it was really sad how the old mayor had told Emily her family didn't have to pay taxes and when the new mayor came in they tried to make her pay them. Emily meets a man how is fixing the side walks in town, they end up dating and everyone thinks they will get married. Until one day he goes into Miss Emily's house and no one ever sees him come out; I found this very odd. The ending to the story was really shocking I didn't see it coming at all. Miss Emily's death was not very surprising or how people reacted at her funeral; people are alway curious about something that's different. But, what did really surprise me is when they opened the locked room and found a dead man's body and found a grey hair of emily's on the pillow next to it. I think the story was very well written it made me think, but it really left you hanging.

No comments: