Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Yellow Wallpaper

When I first read this story I over looked the details and just saw some crazy lady who thought the wallpaper was ugly and that there was a women living in it. But, then I read it over again and caught many details I had missed at first. Through out the story one thing stuck in my head and that was how John ignored how his wife was feeling and just "locked" her away. I really empathized with how the main character went through postpartum depression after having a child, because I also had it after I had my child. Postpartum depression, I think, can be one of the hardest things to deal with, because it is a time in your life when you should be happy and enjoying your child and you just can't seem to be happy. During that time you need the support and love of others and the main character in "The Yellow Wallpaper" dcesn't get that from her husband. John puts his wife's "illness" off as nothing and doesn't believe she is actually ill. I believe that John is the reason his wife went "crazy". John always made her go lay down to rest; she was always in solitude. I think this made her think about her thoughts to much and dorve her "crazy". The main character was going was actually ill and need help, but couldn't get it. John was overbearing and made his wife feel like she had to creep around and hide her illness.

No comments: