Friday, February 13, 2009

Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?

At first, as I was reading I immediately had a connection to this story. I can relate a lot to Connie. As I was reading it was almost creepy, it was like I was reading a story about me. But, as the story went on that changed. One of the quotes that really stuck out to me and made me think that Arnold Friend did murdered her, was when he cornered her in the kitchen. "She was sitting on the floor with her wet back against the wall". Before this quote Oates mentions something about stabbing her and how her blouse was wet from blood. I really thought Oates described her thoughts well as she was dying. The readers know what she was thinking before she died.
I think Arnold Friend is really odd and everything that comes out of his mouth in the story is very creepy. I'm still not sure how he knew Connie and knew where and what her family was doing? At some points in the story there were hints as to maybe Connie did know him. But, most of the time she played it off as having no clue who Arnold Friend was. This scary story was very good. It kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting to hurry up and reach the end of the story so I could find out when happens to Connie.

No comments: