Monday, February 23, 2009

I Stand Here Ironing

The setting that I got out of this story was happening during the Great Depression when Emily was born. I didn't quite understand the story right away just because it didnt grab my attention, but what I got out of it is that Emily was kind of "slow" in a way. She really didn't understand to much and was always compared. Her mother was a single parent taking care of her children. Their father left because he coulnd't handle all of the situation's that were happening. Emily's mother seemed to be doing the best that she could do for herself and for her children, but there was also emotional connection problems between Emily and her mother. This part was also kind of odd for me to read just because it seemed to jump back and forth with how Emily and her mothers relationship was. It also seemed like Emily wasn't to please with her sister Susan. Everytime Susan would say something to there mother Emily would come back saying that she said it first or she did it first.
Overall, the story was alright. It kind of took my a little bit to actually get interested in it, but in certain ways you can actually relate to the story, so I liked that a lot.

No comments: