Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Kite Runner

I've always had a hard time staying interested in books. I love to read, but there aren't many types of stories that interest me. So far, I think this book is great. I love the story and how it's told by a child. He's still so innocent and I think it makes the story more believable for some reason.
I hate how Amir is treated by his father. It's not right, especially since his mother is dead, he really needs someone to care for him.
Amir and Hassan's friendship is great. I love that Amir doesn't look down on Hassan because he's their servant. On the other, hand I can't stand how Amir denies Hassan when there are other children around. If he loves him like a brother then he shouldn't care what anyone else thinks.
The bombs must have been frightening for those young boys. I couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like. It's too bad that it was Hassan's dad that was the only one with them. I'm sure Amir would've felt safer if his own father was with him.
I was very happy to read that Amir won the kite contest, he needed that confidence and praise from his father. It was terrible that Asef and his little cronies had to ruin it by raping Hassan. I know they're bullies and all, but come on, that was just terrible. I don't know what was worse, the rape, or Amir watching and not doing a thing to help his friend. I feel sorry for Amir, he is such a little wimp. I'm hoping that Hassan doesn't know, or never finds out that he was there. It would make the whole ordeal so much worse.
I can't wait to find out what happens next. I just hope that what's to come is better than the last few pages I read, but I have a feeling that it won't be.

No comments: