Friday, February 6, 2009

The Kite Runner

If ever I have read a book filled with emotion, nothing compares to the intensity of the Kite Runner. I actually read the book about a year ago, but my feelings for the book haven't changed. On the front cover of the book The New York Times Book Review calls the book, "Powerful...Haunting." The Kite Runner is just that. Even though it has been only a year since I first read this book, I haven't forgotten about it. Honestly, I think if it had been ten years since I read it, I still would remember it. What captured me while reading this story was the pure evil in the character Assef. When I think of an evil person, I definitely don't think about a young boy. While reading this book I have to continually remind myself of Assef's age. The horrible things he says and his actions would appear to make him older, but he really isn't. I find it frightening that someone so young could do such unforgivable things.
What makes the Kite Runner so riveting is that the author creates two extreme characters. Assef is the evil boy, and Hassan is so pure and innocent. When their two paths cross and Assef is so cruel to him, I think it would be anyone's reaction to want to save Hassan. Hassan represents our brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, or even children of our own. Our heart goes out to him, and we want to save him. The worst part about it is is that sometimes evil things happen, and sometimes we can't do anything about it.

No comments: