Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Truth Shall Set You Free

            I am now on page 165 for Kite Runner and at this point I am very disgusted and appalled at Amir. How could he subject his “best friend” and “brother” and someone who shared the same breast as him to such lies? Why would he want to get rid of Hassan and Ali and break his father’s heart? The father’s heart break is quite obvious when Amir notes, “Then I saw Baba do something I had never seen him do before: He cried,” (Hosseini 107). Amir talks about how his father forgives Hassan, “… When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth,” (Hosseini 106) and he was reacting with shock as if he couldn’t believe his own father would forgive Hassan yet Amir was a thief himself; he stole Hassan’s right to the truth, so why should he be anyone special? He was nothing but a total hypocrite, especially when he said he loved Hassan more than anything in that moment when Hassan confirmed that he stole the money and the watch. He loved him for not revealing Amir in his true colors, “…he was rescuing me once again, maybe for the last time,” (Hosseini 105). So why couldn’t he apply the same concept to himself – he would love himself more if he was there for Hassan or at least confess to the lies that he told.
            I am also kind of disappointed in Hassan… I would think after everything Hassan had done for Amir, that moment when he confirmed himself to have stolen the watch and the money should have been the moment where he spoke out, “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.” But then, after pondering this part in the story, I realize that he did say “enough is enough” because it was then Hassan and Ali had decided to leave regardless of Baba’s protesting and pleading. I found that very sad because I couldn’t imagine myself like Amir who were withholding such truth and going through with more lies, and not only that but continuing to be selfish. I still don’t understand why it is so hard for Amir to just admit to Hassan that he was a coward and that he couldn’t be there for Hassan in the way that he wanted to be. Sure, it would be difficult but you know the common saying of, “Truth shall set you free.”
            I guess “truth” did set someone free… it was Hassan, because now he would never have to deal with the burden of being so damn loyal to Amir "agha".

1 comment:

brownie said...

Great Blog!! I could not agree with you more on your take of Amir. If I had a friend that was as close as Hassan and he I would expect much more of him. You wrote your blog wiht much emotion and it showed very well. You made your points very clear and I enjoyed reading it!!!