Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A & P blog

I thought the short story "A & P" was both good and bad. I did not really get the point of the story, but i did really like like the feeling it gave me about summer, and being carefree.
I was not in class for the group discussion, and those really help me get a deeper meaning of the stories. From my own view point I felt bad for Sammy. It seemed to me like he was trying to impress the girls by quitting work only to find them gone and himself alone. It seems like he was trying to fit into a group he was not part of, sort of like his infactuation with the girls is what caused him to quit working at the supermarket. I am sure there is a deeper meaning in the story but i wasn't understading it.
One thing i really liked about the story was the way that John Updike describes the charachters. It really gives you a feeling of time the story takes place and the feeling the charachters had. The way he describes the girls in their bathing suits such as, " the dirty pink - beige maybe...bathing suit.. with a little nuble over it and the straps were down." or " There was this chunky one, with the two piece--it was brigh tgreen and the seams on the bra were still sharp and her belly was still pretty pale..." (220). By going into depth about the girls Updike not only gives you a good idea of what they look like, but also the feeling of a being carefree in the summer. Another thing i like about the story is how it takes place in around the 1960's. And to me life seemed to me like it would be much simpilar. People were not always in a hurry and trying to get things done.
Over all I am sure Sammy had other motiaves for the reasons he quit, and maybe the girls were just the final straw, maybe he wasnts to feel the freedom the girls have on their summer vacation, whatever it was it really wasnt clear to me, and i felt like the story just sort of stopped.

No comments: