Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Kite Runner

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book or not when I started reading it, but now that I'm into it I really enjoy it. It is a very powerful piece of literature and is very moving, and eye opening. It really gives you a glimps of how life is through anothers eyes. The settings of the story, I beleive, are essential to this story. Some of the main ones are: Kabul, the pomegranate tree, the study, and many more. The begining is about two young boys, Amir and Hassan. Hassan is on of the servants to the Amir and his father. Hassan is a Hazara. I believe that this is an important parta nd aspect of the story. "People called Hazaras mice eating, flat-nosed, load carrying donkeys." ( Hosseini 9). The Hazara people are seen as slaves and have had everything stripped from them in the past by the Pashtuns. This, I believe, is important because Hassan, the Hazaras, are looked down on for being slaves, and illiterate. This is an issue because Amir and Hassan are so close. They do everything together, "Hassan and I fed from the same breast" (Hosseini 11). This just goes to show that they have been close from the very begining. Amir was even the first word Hassan said. Even though this close Amir makes mockeries towards Hassan and his illiteracy. With this in mind I ask is Hassan a friend or a servent? For example how could a friend just stand by while his friend was raped? "I ran because I was a coward" (Hosseini 77). For all the times that Hassen stuck up for Amir and all he's done for Amir, Amir did nothing. He ran away when he could have stuck up for Hassen. After all Hassen is getting raped for Amir. So which is it, servent or slave. I hope that with further reading it will become clear.
Jason Brown

No comments: