Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Kite Runner

            I am fascinated by this story thus far. It is something new to me, not only is it new because it is a new book but I am also new with the location the book is based on. Whenever I read a book, it is most likely based in a location that is familiar to me – such as Boston, Massachusetts. Or maybe it is based in Hollywood, California. Or even Seattle, Washington. This story is based in the Middle East and that is not familiar to me so it is really interesting.
            The other interesting thing about this novel is the names used. I learned that there is a word that you use all the time to refer to any older male as Kaka or any older female as Khala which is basically “uncle” and “aunt” (Hosseini, 83). I just find that a little different because we don’t call every grown man “Uncle” or grown woman, “Aunt” here in America. There is also the difference in how they use the term of “mister.” They don’t say “Mr. Amir” they say “Amir agha” as Hassan always calls him. “Amir jan” is more of an affectionate way of referring to someone as it obviously shows when Amir stated in the book, “Baba hardly ever used the term of endearment jan when he addressed me,” (Hosseini, 31).
            Another reason why I really like the book thus far is because it is so similar to the American way of life – they work just like we do, they live their lives just like we do, there are bullies over there just as there are bullies here and there are bullies that have raped here in America so it struck a chord in me that made me think, “just because we are different in ethnicity, race, religion, socially, it doesn’t mean we don’t go through the same type of experiences in life.” I’m sure there are people who have been through experiences of wanting a father’s affection, or having a “servant” for a friend and not wanting to admit it, or being bullied. We are all similar more than we will think, or sometimes even admit.

No comments: