Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Immediately I was aware that in order to understand this novel I would have to record my thoughts and take note of significant rising actions throughout the story. What caused this idea was the difficulty I had in understanding the language the characters use. Some definitions are provided for the reader, although some passages remain confusing for me. "...and in constructing his family tree on the new basis was duly reasonable in framing this intermarriages and aristocratic links, never inserting a single title above a rank of strict moderation." This passage in particular was especially difficult for me to grasp, even after reading it a second time. The only way I see this problem being solved is reading the text next to a dictionary, and simply removing myself form the modern day lingo I am used to and placing my mind in an 1800's environment. Although my knowledge of this era is quite scarce, removing myself from the modern day has come second nature to me though the years. Aside from the language being difficult to understand, it is also very interesting as well. The style of language Alec uses strikes me as well mannered and educated, (although his intentions are quite the opposite) and this continues to make the story engaging for me. Personally I love the endless use of words one has to choose from to get their point across, and reading such a different style than what I hear everyday is something I love to experience. In this aspect, along with others, "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" promises to be a interesting and insightful experience.

No comments: