Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Yellow Wallpaper

I enjoyed “The Yellow Wallpaper” because for me it was sort of a mystery as to what was reality and what was fantasy. While I was reading I wasn’t sure just how crazy our narrator was. I had questions about if the house they where living in was really just a house or if she was in a mental institution. Even towards the end I wasn’t sure I thought maybe the woman that she saw “creeping” outside may have been other patients. The lines “ I often wonder if I could see her out of all the windows at once. But, turn as fast as I can, I can only see out of one at a time.” (Gilman, 205-206) really made me think it just other patients in a mental institution. I now know that it was just a house but for me that was a cool part of the story. During our discussion I thought it was interesting to find out when she “became” the woman in the wall, I didn’t think it happened that early. Someone had mentioned when they are just sitting around bored they notice weird patterns on things around them. That’s exactly what I thought was happening with “Jane.” Right know I’m sitting in my living room with wood panel walls and I can clearly see a bird in the pattern of the wood grain but nobody else says that they can see it. It first appeared to me one day when I was staring at the wall thinking about a problem. So if a person in a room all day I can see a person going a little stir crazy or just fixating on an object in that room.

No comments: