Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Posting again.....

Well in college writing one I didn't have much luck with this but, it'll be different this time I hope. I'll be talking about "story of an hour", I hadn't read it until I came to class, because i was reading the wrong thing the teacher printed out *cough*. From what I read, seem very confusing at first, I had to reread it at least three times before I understood some of it. Mainly it was a story of sadness, or so we thought. There was a lady name Mrs. Mallard, who got news of her husband died in a crash, as soon as she receives the news she starts to cry. She runs into her room, locks the door and cries some more. Then here it takes a twist she says "Free! Body and soul free!" (Chopin 194). All of a sudden she was happy that he was died. This part of the story is the most confusing, because you don't know whats she is happy about. Either she was abused by her husband when he was alive, so she was happy that she doesn't have to suffer again. Thing that kind of cancels that out is when she says "kind, tender hands and the face that had never looked save with love upon her” (Chopin 194). So then you start to think maybe she wasn't abused after all, maybe she just wanted to be free of the marriage. As someone said in class maybe she was forced into the marriage, as if it was prearranged. You can never really know what it really is, since we the readers aren't the author, we can only brainstorm and come up wit ideas of what the author really means.

No comments: