Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Chrysanthemums

After taking a closer look at the theme of the story I have a much wider understanding of it. Due to this new understanding I am able to see more possibilities as to what the message could be. Before discussion I had some skepticism about the symbolic connection between Elisa and her chrysanthemums. At first I believed the only connection was Elisa sending her flowers with the traveling tinker because she would not go with. Although looking deeper into the story I see that they also represent her as a woman, and the chrysanthemums also seem to symbolize children. Observing other classmates make these connections really helped me understand how many possible themes there could be in a story, even if the story seems like it lacks elements. What came across to me as very interesting was the fact that I failed to see a very significant element in the story. That element was the traveling tinker using Elisa's interests to manipulate her. Even now that I am aware of this element, I am still having difficulty finding the reason behind the tinkers manipulation.

1 comment:

english student said...

hey N8, i think that he manipulated her to get her to pay for some of his services (which she truly didnt because she told him that she could fix her own pots and scissors). At first she was really short with him and insisted that she had no work for him, but then he probably saw how organized and how well she took care of the flowers.. he had a conversation starter....he was getting personal so that she would open up to him and in the end hopefully she would give in to his "no-supper bit" and give him a job. I am thinking that he probably never was on the wrong road and most likely told the last person the same story, and will use it again with the next....but hey hes got to make money