Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the story of an hour

I sort of liked reading The Story of an Hour. The first time I read it, it seemed like there was too much going on and I couldn’t really focus on what the story was actually about. After discussing it in class a little bit I have a much better understanding of what the story was about. Mrs. Mallard shifts, much like a bi-polar person, from extremely sad and remorseful to unbelievably happy. I sometimes find myself thinking about how I could benefit by someone else’s misfortune. I’m not talking about someone dying. Like if a fellow co-worker would happen to get fired and I get promoted to his position. It’s a bad deal that he had to get fired but at the same time I would be really happy to be getting a promotion. The text says that she is looking forward to all the years to come that she will be able to have all to herself (Chopin 194). This could be implying that perhaps she didn’t enjoy her marriage at all and was hoping that something like this would happen. It’s almost like she can’t decide whether or not she actually cared about this guy. I want to know it Mrs. Mallard had died because she was happy to see her husband alive or if she died because she really wanted him dead. I sort of understand where she’s coming from. I understand how unbelievably annoying it is to always have to be around someone that you don’t really enjoy being around. I’ve never wished for anyone to die just because of that though.

No comments: