Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Story of an Hour

Wow, this story was strange the first time I read it. I wasn't sure if Mrs. Mallard was sad about hearing her husband died or if she was relieved. I also was not sure if she killed herself or she died of her bad heart. When we talked in groups I opened my eyes a little more and read the story again. I took a lot more out of the story the second time. I think that she was not a happily married women. The time the story was written, women just stayed home and took care of the kids. Marriages are not like they are now, they married to help support the family. I think when she found out that her husband died, she thought she would have her own freedom. She would not have to answer to a man. Nothing would be the same. I don't know if there was abuse in the relationship, some things are still unclear. I do know from "and yet she had loved him_sometimes" that the relationship was not the best. I think that the ending was the best. Now that the husband is still alive, he will have to figure out how to live without out him wife.

No comments: