Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"The story of an Hour"

I enjoyed reading this short story, however it was a bit confusing at times. The story was full of irony and took for quite a ride being how short it was. My initial response to the story was typical. I liked it, but wasn't quite sure why. After diving deeper into it and having class discussion I realized there was much more behind the words than I had originally taken in. Mrs. Millard opens with sadness, " She wept at once, with sudden, wild abandonment" (Chopin 193). After first reading it I believed that she felt sad and remorse at this point, but now I feel that it was a sense of relief and not tears in sadness. After the story progresses Mrs. Millard goes on to say, "There would be no one to live for during those coming years; she would live for herself" (Chopin 194). "Free! Body and soul free!" (Chopin 194). After these two quotes it made me see that it was more of a relief than a sadness that Mrs. Millard was feeling at this time. After discussion I think that she was happy to get out of her marriage. She would keep mumbling freedom and how she was now free. Taking in the timeline of when this story was written it wasn't a pleasant time. They weren't given many choices, they were told what do and how to live their life. I think that this is what Mrs. Millard was feeling and why she was crying. Not because of her loss, but her gain of freedom. She could now feel and act as she desired. She could now live for herself. Some people may think she died sad or alone, however, I think she died happy.

Jason Brown

No comments: