Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fargo Moorhead Flood of 2009

Here we go again, reliving 1997 Flood in the red River Valley. But this time worse then before. I had taken some great pictures from the 1997 flood and was very close to a lot of people living South of Fargo. I drove school bus there for many a years and had gotten very close to the families. My house was located on the north side of Fargo couple of blocks away from Mickelson Field. Where the water was very high every night after being in the bus hauling sandbaggers I would walk down the alley to 8TH st and look at how high the water was. Being kept busy during that time helped keep my mind clear and my emotions at bay. This time around I used my talents as a bus driver again. After an emergency meeting at the MHD district office. I helped evacuate Eventide nursing home driving in white out conditions and very icy roads delivering the elderly people to different Cities in MN and nursing homes. From then on we hauled sandbaggers, police, guards men, and fire fighters around the city of Moorhead. I was stationed out the district office and was on call for anything that could happen. I thought of same details that the ones in charge over looked and gave my advise to them. Today I am still on call but I am able to do it from my home for just in case things come up. I did Sandbag my ex sister in laws home but we lost the fight against overland flooding and her home is still under water. To bad beautiful home to go to such a waste. My body and mind are fighting me my back and legs are feeling more pain then before my mind is mushy hard to concentrate on things that need to be done.I am lucky that my home is not in any danger of water but it could be in danger of losing it sewer and water if the dikes fail. Still have a suitcase packed and I have a safe place to go if needed. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost their homes to the flood waters and hope they can recover from their losses. To all those who helped with the first battle a big thank you and keep on your toes for the war in not over yet second crest is on it's way.

No comments: