Sunday, March 1, 2009

We Real Cool

Out of the many poems we were supposed to read today, I like We Real Cool the best. Not only is it short and easy to understand, but it also has some meaning behind each word. As I read this poem, I couldn't help but notice that 'we' is at the end of every sentence except the last one. I thought this was unique because I believe it to be a story about guys being guys, and most of the time, guys will be guys around other guys. The only sentence that does not end in 'we' is the last sentence. I believe this is so because when you die, you die alone. Also, because I think this poem is about guys being guys, I believe "Die soon" doesn't end in 'we' because it could possibly represent what will happen if you go down the wrong path. The only person you will hurt is yourself.

Another thing I thought about while reading this poem is whether or not it goes in chronological order, starting with dropping out of school. It's almost like a timeline of a guy who is mixed up. Also, I thought it was interesting how each word was one syllable. Not only does it make it easy to read, but it makes you think about why the author made it so simple in an English sense. I almost felt like I was reading a elementary school poem because of the fact every word is so simple. I kind of thought a little less of the author because I think even I could write a poem like this. It made me wonder why this poem was so special and got published. All in all, "We Real Cool" was a simple, good read. Although I didn't really understand its simple nature, I accepted the fact that it has an underlying message.

No comments: