Monday, April 14, 2008

Deadly Porphyric Love

            I felt very replusive when I read the poem. I felt like it was very sneaky, which I had already knew about the man at the beginning. He came off somewhat sneaky, and callouse. He seemed uncaring, especially when Porphyria called for him, "When no voice replied," (l. 15), and how he wouldn't hold her at first.
            Throughout the poem, I found nothing but irony. She was willing to give herself to him and he killed her. It made me think that maybe the girl decided to surrender herself to him and knew that she was going to die? Maybe that was why the man was so confident that he was sure "No pain felt she; / I am quite sure she felt no pain." (l. 41-42) and "Her darling one wish would be heard" (l.58). There were many other point of views on whether the man was simply crazy, and we also discussed the reasons why he killed the woman, whether he had good reasons or not (but then, when is murder ever a good reason!?).
            Aonther irony of this story was the last line of the poem, "And yet God has not said a word!" (l. 60)... that is probably the most disturbing line because why would he think God wouldn't say a word? I am not a relgiious person, but according to the Bible, God doesn't need to speak for someone to know that he is there, therefore just because he isn't saying a word doesn't mean he wouldn't punish this man for the evil deed that he had done. I guess it takes a really crazy person to think something in the context of that last line.

No comments: